To be regarded as an indispensable partner to SAS and, specifically, to the Pleasant Ridge Staff, in our joint pursuit of nurturing and developing successful, life-long learners within a world class School District.
To enrich and maximize the educational experience of every Pleasant Ridge student and consistently engage all members of the Pleasant Ridge family through Advocating, Socializing and Fundraising.
- We believe that the children’s future is OUR business
- We believe in being effective and efficient
- We believe in engagement by leveraging a broad range of talents and commitment levels
- We believe that all levels of commitment are valued – and involvement makes a difference for your family
- ADVOCATE: Organize our collective voice to influence the school and the district.
- SOCIALIZE: Foster a supportive community that simply has fun together (with & without the children).
- FUNDRAISE: Raise $32K to enhance all students’ educational experiences by enabling incremental programming & teacher tools (guided by District’s Strategic Framework).
What is the PTA and who can be a Member?
Our PTA is part of both the national and Michigan Parent Teacher Association that strives to enhance children’s educational experiences. Being part of these organizations, we must pay annual dues. To offset these dues, every year, we have a membership drive. Becoming a member does not mean you automatically sign up to volunteer, it just means you support our group and believe in what we’re doing. All parents and caregivers, along with school faculty can be members, for only $10! Please enroll or renew your membership and help us achieve our membership goal! But regardless of whether or not you officially join, we hope you’ll still engage with us!
PTA Programs & Fundraising
PTA Fundraising is a crucial part of enabling excellence for the roughly 450 students who begin their academic career in Saline’s oldest elementary school. Last year, we raised over $32,000, which enabled us to provide a 2nd set of 15 mini-iPads, a new sound system for our cafeteria, a Summer Reading Program for readers at risk, and to cover annual expenses like field trip transportation and assemblies. This year, we are targeting another $32,000 to not only cover those annual expenses, but also to purchase even more mini-iPads – enough for each of our 18 classrooms to have a mini station of 4-5 devices which will enable more individualized learning on a continuous basis.
Particularly now, as the state has cut significant funding for the schools, support from the PTA is needed more than ever. We need to raise at least $70 per student. We will do this in three ways: Traditional Fundraisers (50-50-50 Dance-a-thon & March Read-a-thon); Events (Silent Auction & Carnival, Pancake Supper, Book Fairs); and Passive Fundraisers (Box Tops, Dough Nights, Market Day, Scrip, Busch’s Card).
As you can see, we are a busy group. This is where you can come in! We need your help, and so do your children. Over 500 independent studies on parent involvement show that when parents get involved in their children’s education grades go up, test scores improve, children are more likely to attend better schools after high school, they have fewer discipline problems and they’re less likely to use drugs and alcohol. Get involved TODAY!
Please sign up for the PTA Volunteer Bench to keep in the loop about volunteer opportunities. Volunteering doesn’t have to mean a huge time commitment. We understand it is increasingly more difficult to find time to give, but please, whatever your time schedule allows, we have need of you. We even have tasks that can be performed in the evenings, during the day or that don’t even involve coming to the school at all.
Why Join the PTA
What is PTA? Why join PTA? The number one reason to join the Parent Teacher Association is to benefit your child. In doing so, you also help your school. But there are many more PTA advantages:
- Get Connected. There’s no better way to know what’s happening in your school.
- Discover Great Resources. The PTA offers a variety of programs designed for parents as well as students.
- Tap into a Network. PTA functions are opportunities to meet other parents and teachers, building rapport and discussing issues that are on your mind. You an share ideas, concerns, and experiences.
- Watch Yourself Grow. By volunteering with your PTA, you put your skills and hobbies to use for a noble cause—your child and all children in the community.
- Speak Up. PTA can be a way for you to more effectively suggest change at your child’s school.
- Witness Improvement. By getting involved at your child’s school you’ll be part of the solution, helping make positive changes. Local PTAs play an important role in fundraising to provide building improvements, curriculum-based programs, and social events.
- Be a Role Model. By becoming a PTA member, you’ll be demonstrating to your child the importance you place on education.
- Enjoy Substantial Benefits. Individuals and local units can take advantage of a host of benefits from PTA membership including discounts and offers from member benefits providers and sponsors, magazine subscriptions, leadership training, e-newsletters and much more.
For less than 3 cents a day, you can become a PTA member, joining more than 5 million other people who share your interest in issues affecting children. Everyone—parents, educators, students and other citizens active in their schools and communities—is invited to join our not-for-profit parent association.
We’re at the Airport and in your Neighborhood. The world’s largest airport general use car rental brand, operating from approximately 8,500 locations in 146 countries worldwide is proud to offer PTA members benefits like:
- Savings of up to 20% off rentals
- Special promotions in addition to your discount
- Fee Waived Hertz #1 Club Gold® enrollment—a $60 savings! Earn free rental days and receive expedited service on all your rentals.
[members only site]
MetLife Auto & Home®
MetLife Auto & Home has worked with PTA to bring PTA members a group insurance program that comes with special savings and benefits. This program includes competitive benefits and superior discounts for members. [members only site]
Now, PTA members can save on supply essentials and more at OfficeMax, a Member Benefits Provider. You’ll find everything from notebooks, binders and pens to paper, art supplies and furniture. You can even make copies and print flyers and student presentations—all in store at the OfficeMax ImPress® Print Center. Ready to shop and save? Get the current deal now and check back often for exclusive savings throughout the year. [members only site]
Sharp Electronics Corporation
Sharp Electronics Corporation is offering PTA members special purchase opportunities on AQUOS liquid crystal televisions and other audio, video, home appliance and home office products. Sharp is a world leader in the liquid crystal television category, and is pleased to offer these state-of-the-art flat panel TVs and their other products at extremely attractive discounts. [members only site]
T-Mobile and PTA have partnered together to bring PTA members exclusive discounts on wireless mobile service and equipment. All PTA members receive special discounts on selected promotional devices, exclusive discounts on monthly service charges and waived activation fees on T-Mobile products and services. [members only site]
And as always, children are welcome at our monthly meetings. Check out our meeting schedule here. This is a great way to get involved, have fun and meet new friends. See you there!